Monday, May 21, 2012

Just hanging out

I have been having some trouble with my computer not charging right so I haven't been able to log in very much.  I think I now have that problem fixed so I should be able to do a better job of keeping everything up to date.


I visit with our new son each afternoon from 2:30 until 4:30 pm.  He gets out of class at 2:30 Monday through Saturday and has to go do his homework at 4:30.  We are communicating via an electronic translator.  For those of you who will be adopting soon I would seriously recommend that you get a translator to bring with you.  It has enabled us to have conversations that we could not have had otherwise.  However, I must warn you, the translator is only as good as the spelling of the user.  There are times when I can see that he is trying to figure out a word and it doesn't translate because he couldn't figure out how to spell it correctly.  Then the charades begin.  The charades are so amusing.  He tries so hard to get me to understand something by using his hands and facial expressions, even when facial expressions and hand motions do not fit the topic of discussion at all.


This Friday, May 25, will be the last day of school here.  I am not certain what that will mean for our daily visits.  We are expecting to have court Monday or Tuesday, so hopefully they will not send him away to summer camp.  But, I really don't think they are going to keep the orphanage open for just one student.  I don't know what next week will bring.  One day at a time!!!!


I think I have been able to lose a few pounds since I have been here.  I put on a pair of jeans this morning that fit looser than the last time I put them on.  I am walking to the orphanage every day, 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back.  I am eating here at the center where I am staying, homemade Ukrainian style cooking.  It is not as fattening as the foods I typically eat at home.  I am drinking more fruit juice and less carbonated beverages, which helps a lot too.  But I sure do miss my ice cold Mountain Dew. :-)


I will keep you updated when I know when our court date has been set.

No comments:

Post a Comment